Jimmy Carter proves once again why so many liberal Christians just don’t get it

Posted by: ST on July 21, 2009 at 9:42 am

James Joyner pretty much has the ultimate takedown on Jimmy Carter’s recent reaffirmation that he has “left” the Southern Baptist Convention because, essentially, he believes that the SBC is no better than Islamofascists when it comes to the “subjugation of women.” Why? Because the SBC still believes that it’s against scripture for women to serve as pastors and deacons in the church.

Read Carter’s moral equivalency fest (the typical screed of a moral relativist, as I noted yesterday) first to see the true depth of his warped reasoning behind leaving the SBC some 8 years ago (why he felt the need to reaffirm something he did nearly a decade ago is beyond me, but whatever), and then read Joyner’s takedown, which he approaches from the secular perspective – perfect for liberal Christians like Carter who judge Southern Baptists from that exact same perspective.

Of course, we also have to keep in mind that moral relativists like Carter don’t view truly oppressive, repressive, thuggish and brutish outfits like the terrorist group Hamas as an actual terrorist organization, rarely if ever see fit to condemn those groups harshly (understandable, if you consider they don’t view them to be seriously bad apples in the first place) and also believes that they – and the Palestinians – could “peacefully” co-exist with Israel if those danged Jews would just leave them alone, so his opinion really doesn’t matter much anyway, except in the minds of liberals – Christian or otherwise – who seek validation of beliefs and opinions on a variety of issues that are at odds with not only basic human decency and morality but also, for believers, the Word of God.

In the scheme of things, I find those inconvenient (to the left) facts far more troublesome than the continuance of the SBC to not allow women to serve as pastors in the church. Women are equals in the Christian church in a way that is understandable if one simply picks up their Bible and reads it cover to cover (read here for more). On the other hand, there is no justification in the Bible for the types of “progressive” preachings commonly found being expressed by many liberal Christians like Jimmy Carter today.

12 Responses to “Jimmy Carter proves once again why so many liberal Christians just don’t get it”

Comments

1. Severian says:

Carter is so naive, dangerously so, that when Khomeini was rabble rousing and taking over from the Shah of Iran, he didn’t do squat, because he said he felt sure that a man of god, an Ayatollah, had to be a good man who we could trust to do right. /:)

Although I try desparately not to judge a man’s salvation (my name isn’t God, thank God) it is really difficult in some cases.

I truly believe a person cannot be a Christian and a liberal at the same time. It is like saying it can be night and day at the same time. Liberalism is the direct antithesis of Christianity (in spite of the claims of relativists that they fall in line nicely with each other).

I will not shed a single tear the day Obama announces this man’s National Day of Mourning. It couldn’t happen soon enough to suit me.

I agree with you Dear. How can this man love Hamas as much as he does, but has some idiotic diatribe about the SBC. What?!?!? I guess Hamas has equal opportunity suicide bombers.

Carlos, I agree with you. For sometime I have believed that if you vote liberal and call yourself a Christian, then you are either deceived or your salvation is in jeopardy. It is like taking the mark of the beast. Once that happens you have renounced your belief in Jesus, and your salvation ends. Jesus said it Himself, if you turn your back on me, I will turn my back on you before my Father. It is truly sad to see this. – Lorica

4. Steve Skubinna says:

Just curious – how many clitorectomies are performed by Southern Baptists? Does Southern Baptist doctrine require raping young women prior to executing them? Do Southern Baptist preachers advocate murdering non-Baptists as a pathway to Heaven?

And don’t get me started on Southern Baptist stonings – I’ve read The Lottery.

Once again History’s Greatest Monster demonstrates his unerring moral compass.

5. Great White Rat says:

I’ll just repeat what I said yesterday:

the next time your neighborhood liberal makes the argument that Christianists = Islamofasicsts, ask him to show where Christians would engage in honor killings, sanction rape rooms, condemn people to death for converting to another religion, organize mass executions of homosexuals, and teach kids that Jews are descended from pigs and monkeys.

Little did I know Carter would cooperate by providing a textbook example of the sickness. Just serendipity, I guess. ;)

6. Severian says:

Oh, I don’t know, around here we have had problems with bands of roving Amish, terrorizing people, ripping their zippers out, forcing them to drink raw milk, doctors being threatened by Christian Scientists, Mormons threatening to blow up things unless families started acting like they enjoy being around each other. I tell ya, it’s a nightmare.

And that’s from somewhere outside of pure blue territory, I take it, Severian, unlike here in Moscow on the Willamette.

And to make things worse, I not only live in what could justly be called a royal blue area (think King O), I belong to one of those vicious Baptist cults that makes the Southern Baptists look absolutely liberal!

It’s a dirty job, hiding under all those beds with terrorist intentions so feared by the leftists, but hey, somebody’s got to do it.

8. david foster says:

Someone who knew Carter in Georgia before he became nationally prominent described the man as follows:

“He used to stand at the back of the Rotary meetings, glaring at all the rest of us because we weren’t as *righteous* as he was”

There is none so righteous as a man in his own mind.

Perfect description of Jimmuh, what with his muddled thought processes being in such poor shape and all.

10. Peter says:

He went into politics because Miss Lillian didn’t trust him with the family gas station.

So, why don’t the greenies put a cork in him to stop all the useless waste of oxygen conversion to carbon dioxide? Because he’s representative of what they all want, a hateful Hamas-like guvmint where they can run everyone else’ lives with impunity.

12. Jo says:

Poor Old Carter. I’m ashamed and apologize that he is from the South. We usually turn ‘em out better.