Do you buy this (scroll down for video)?
I gotta hand it to Chris Matthews: he really gave Murtha a grilling, and Murtha looked like he was caught off guard (Murtha’s probably not used to tough questioning from the press, since he carries the Absolute Moral Authority card). Make sure to watch it all, as Matthews asks him about his comment that an ethics and lobbying reform bill being pushed by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was “total crap.” (Here’s the transcript)
As I wrote at Hot Air in the comments section, if the D’s elect this guy to be their Majority Leader, the R’s are going to have a field day with him.
Update/Flashback: Frank Warner provides this timely reminder of Rep. Murtha’s prediction about when the troops should be out of Iraq. First, on Nov. 17, 2005 he said “six months“, then he extended it a little further. Here’s the prediction he made November 20, 2005:
Tim Russert: You think we’ll be out of Iraq by the end of 2006?
Murtha: I think we’ll be out of there; if not completely out of there, we’ll be very close to being out of there. I think we could be out — yeah, I predict we’ll be out of there â€“ it’ll be 2006.
Russert: By Election Day 2006?
Murtha: You have hit it on the head.
And he may be our new House Majority Leader …
- WaPo: Murtha is the wrong choice for House Majority leader
- Dems want to identify pork sponsors
- Pelosi backs Murtha for House Majority Leader
- Murtha wants to be House Majority leader
- Murtha slimes our troops: “â€¦it looks like it’s the policy of our troops to do something like this.”
- Does Rep. John Murtha know something we don’t?
- Rep. John Murtha: a fountain of misinformation
- Rep. John Murtha: 9 lies in 90 seconds
- Message to Rep. Murtha: listen to this man
- Is Rep. Murtha really a “hawk” as the media has been claiming?
- Rep House calls Dem House’s bluff (MINI-LIVEBLOGGING)
- Dem House Representative calls for immediate troop withdrawal