Why can’t I get excited about this?

Posted by: ST on August 5, 2006 at 5:08 pm

Via AP:

UNITED NATIONS – The United States and France agreed Saturday on a draft U.N. Security Council resolution that calls for a halt to the fighting between Israel and Lebanese Hezbollah guerrillas, but would allow Israel to defend itself if attacked.

The draft, sent to the entire Security Council for consideration, “calls for a full cessation of hostilities based upon, in particular, the immediate cessation by Hezbollah of all attacks and the immediate cessation by Israel of all offensive military operations.”

Israel, backed by the U.S., has insisted it must have the right to respond if Hezbollah launches missiles against it. France and many other nations had demanded an immediate halt to the fighting without conditions as a way to push the region back toward stability.

The agreement broke weeks of deadlock as the U.N. Security Council had failed to take any significant action to stop the violence, primarily because of opposition from the United States, Israel’s closest ally.

The US and France, agreeing on anything? Hard for me to wrap my brain around. Even though the greatest US ambassador to the UN in, well – forever*, John Bolton, is touting the agreement, I’m finding a hard time finding anything to jump for joy on regarding the particulars. I mean, again – the US and France agreeing?

Atlas gives the draft resolution a thumbs down, while Captain Ed points out the positives. Me? I’m not sure what to think about it at this point.

I will say this, though: in the end, it’s all about what Israel feels is right and necessary to do to protect its interests. The US shouldn’t expect Israel to bide by the will of the UN anymore than we did over the issue of Iraq.

*Disclaimer: There is a blogad running on this site from a group that supports John Bolton. I am not being paid to voice a positive opinion on John Bolton.

Read more via: Right Wing Nut House, Bryan at Hot Air, Flopping Aces, Seixon, Riehl World View, James Joyner, Mac, Tom Maguire

As always, check Memeorandum for a roundup on the latest developments on the conflict in the Middle East.

Prior:

• A Blog For All trackbacked with Diplomacy and the Hounds of Hell, Part XIX
  • 9 Responses to “Why can’t I get excited about this?”

Comments

1. Phil says:

To be quite honest with you ST I tend to come some where in the middle, I am well aware of how much Atlas is concerned about this and I do agree that the U.N. is a worthless bunch of hypocrites, I think that we should allow the Israeli’s to determine when is the proper time for them to negotiate the peace. To force Israel to do otherwise before that time would not be right or fair.

2. Big Bang Hunter says:

“….but would allow Israel to defend itself if attacked.”

- It’s a rope-a-dope. That little modifier means the whole thing is postering. The Hezzi’z aren’t going to stop until they see they’re really getting their butts kicked, and then they’ll start screeming for a cease fire. That’s how you know when you have the Islamofascists on the run. Israel is not going to stop until the Rockets do. So things will go on until Hezbollah blinks. TV and the rest of the MSM, are doing their usual smoke dance, drumming up angles to sell newspapers, or jack up viewership, by floating stories that don’t exist. The UN and US are just playing CYA. Israel knows how to deal with murdering thugs, we do not, and the Left is doing everything they can to keep it that way.

3. NC Cop says:

Oh Thank God!!!

The U.N. is going to draft a resolution!
      NOW we’ll see some action!!!

4. Mwalimu Daudi says:

The UN is not exactly the cavalry coming to the rescue, are they? Let’s say instead the UN more closely resembles what the cavalry horses leave behind when coming to the rescue ……………………………….

5. Big Bang Hunter says:

- As noted in my post in the weekend open thread… Now the libturd press is resorting to photoshopping. See “Reutors doctors Beirut picture” at the links I gave. Disgusting.

- Bang **==

6. Big Bang Hunter says:

Hmmmm… Here’s aomething else sort of interesting. as arte Johnson might say. Looks like Hezbollah has been busy in another venue. Here.

- Bang **==

7. Drewsmom says:

Thanks for the info Bang, too bad NOBODY GETS IT OR GIVES A SH*T IN THE UN. I’m so sick of this pretincious bunch of countries, half of em on the security council support terror, what the hell are they good for, ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING, except the song War was wrong, war is good for whipping hezzie a*s.

8. Big Bang Hunter says:

- Drewsmom – Unfortunately I don’t think it’s really about proping up terrorism, as much as it’s tearing down those rich bast**ds in America. If you live in 95% of the rest of the world, your first satient thought when you’re old enough to drink coffee is: “Now how do I get out of this hell hole, and over to America”. If you have no means, then it’s obligatory to hate us. Can you say “raw jealousy” and use it in a sentence kids. Of course, more often than not it’s their own governments spending the money on weapons and plotting attacks, instead of building their societies, ie such as Arafat’s widow, now busily spending that 62 billion he had salted away in French banks, on shopping spree’s in Paris boutiques. It’s easy to Demonize us when the majority of your people have less than a 5th grade education. Koffi, and the rest of the crooks at the UN, just want to get thier piece of the pie while they can. But that’s enough cynical for such a beautiful sunday morning.

- Bang **==