Posted by: ST on August 31, 2007 at 2:18 pm

First, many thanks to Jules for inviting me to guest blog at his place, and for the warm reception I received from his regular commenters. It’s been a real treat blogging alongside some of the blogosphere’s finest, and hopefully I’ll get the opportunity to do so again the next time Jules decides to take a hiatus from his tavern responsibilities. Jules, hope I didn’t leave too much of a mess! To you, Dissident Frogman (whose most recent post touched on a topic I’m about to discuss), I leave my lightly perfumed lavendar scarf which I’d be honored to have you wear on your arm around France as my champion. Just don’t wear it the next time you come to America, though. You might have quite few people look at you funny ;) Until we meet again, mon ami …

Now, on to the story. Via Reuters:

VENICE (Reuters) – A new film about the real-life rape and killing of a 14-year-old Iraqi girl by U.S. soldiers who also murdered her family stunned the Venice festival, with shocking images that left some viewers in tears.

“Redacted”, by U.S. director Brian De Palma, is one of at least eight American films on the war in Iraq due for release in the next few months and the first of two movies on the conflict screening in Venice’s main competition.

Inspired by one of the most serious crimes committed by American soldiers in Iraq since the 2003 invasion, it is a harrowing indictment of the conflict and spares the audience no brutality to get its message across.

And this isn’t the first time he’s tried to broadbrush all of our military over the despicable actions of a few:

De Palma, 66, whose “Casualties of War” in 1989 told a similar tale of abuse by American soldiers in Vietnam, makes no secret of the goal he is hoping to achieve with the film’s images, all based on real material he found on the Internet.

That goal?

“The movie is an attempt to bring the reality of what is happening in Iraq to the American people,” he told reporters after a press screening.

“The pictures are what will stop the war. One only hopes that these images will get the public incensed enough to motivate their Congressmen to vote against this war,” he said.

It should come as no great surprise that some parts of this trashing of our men and women in uniform were “fictionalized” – but, of course, there’s a reason for that:

Halfway between documentary and fiction, “Redacted” draws on soldiers’ home-made war videos, blogs and journals and footage posted on YouTube, reflecting changes in the way the media cover the war.

“In Vietnam, when we saw the images and the sorrow of the people we were traumatizing and killing, we saw the soldiers wounded and brought back in body bags. We see none of that in this war,” De Palma said.

“It’s all out there on the Internet, you can find it if you look for it, but it’s not in the major media. The media is now really part of the corporate establishment,” he said.

The film’s title refers to how, according to De Palma, mainstream American newspapers and television channels are failing to tell the true story of the war by keeping the most graphic images of the conflict away from public opinion.

“When I went out to find the pictures, I said (to the media) give me the pictures you can’t publish,” he said, adding that because of legal dangers he too had to “edit” the material.

“Everything that is in the movie is based on something I found that actually happened. But once I had put it in the script I would get a note from a lawyer saying you can’t use that because it’s real and we may get sued,” De Palma said.

“So I was forced to fictionalize things that were actually real.”

Riiiight.

The film, shot in Jordan with a little known cast, ends with a series of photographs of Iraqi civilians killed and their faces blacked out for legal reasons.

“I think that’s terrible because now we have not even given the dignity of faces to this suffering people,” De Palma said.

“The great irony about Redacted is that it was redacted.”

For the last four years we’re been hearing nonstop accusations about how our troops are supposedly nothing but illiterate, heartless, lawless thugs who rape, pillage, and murder on whim – oftentimes from the mediots, and more often than not from the likes of prominent members of Congress who ‘claim’ to support the troops like Rep. John Murtha, Senator John Kerry – in an encore performance of his role in “supporting” the troops during Vietnam, Dick Durbin, Ted Kennedy, and Charlie Rangel (all comments of which have been published by an all-too willing anti-war press), yet De Palma wants to claim that the mainstream media is part of the “corporate establishment”?

Apparently this Hollyweirdo missed the last train to Cluesville.

If De Palma was really interested in getting the “truth” out about our mission in Iraq, the truth the mainstream media doesn’t saturate their airwaves, bandwidth, and print outlets with, he’d make a movie about the many heroes not just in Iraq, but in Afghanistan and elsewhere, heroes like:

… and the many, many other fine men and women who do our nation proud and serve with distinction and honor, as profiled at Blackfive, and many other wonderful milblogs out there that exist to tell you the stories about our, military and their accomplishments and heroism -both of which are done sometimes at the expense of making the ultimate sacrifice, stories our mainstream media passes over in favor of the more sensationalistic ones like Abu Ghraib.

But, as is the norm with the morally depraved far left as represented in this instance by Hollywood, the “truth” is as they define it and in this case, the “truth” for them is that our troops are no better -in fact, they are “worse” – than the type of brutal thugs who ruthlessly attacked America on 9-11, murdering 3,000 innoncents, innocents like 29 year-old newlywed Peter Edward Mardikian, who walked into the WTC that morning for a meeting in Windows on the World, not knowing he’d never see his college sweetheart bride again.

De Palma has taken the self-loathing that is deeply embedded into the liberal psyche and turned it into an art form. That he would not only make this film, but market it to a foreign audience, should tell you where his sympathies reside. Dr. Rusty Shackleford writes in response:

Our side condemns and prosecutes the same actions our enemies celebrate, and yet Leftists like De Palma equivocate between the two and are okay with our enemies winning?

The only thing wrong with that sentence is the fact that there’s a question mark at the end of it.

Does this mean I’m questioning Brian De Palma’s “patriotism”? Absolutely, positively, hell yeah, damn straight I am.

Cross-posted at Jules’ blog.

• Infinite Monkeys trackbacked with Hollywood screws the troops ... again
  • A Blog For All trackbacked with Deplorable DePalma
  • 33 Responses to “Sick: Director Brian De Palma makes film sliming our troops as a way to protest the war”

Comments

1. Dan says:

“…I would get a note from a lawyer saying you can’t use that because it’s real and we may get sued” De Palma said “So I was forced to fictionalize things that were actually real.”

Because not being sued is so much more important than the truth. How courageous of him. But I guess getting sued would cut into the profits and he’d have to spend time with lawyers and courts. The truth will just have to take a back seat to De Palma’s payday and convenience.

“The film…ends with a series of photographs of Iraqi civilians killed and their faces blacked out for legal reasons.”

“”I think that’s terrible because now we have not even given the dignity of faces to this suffering people” De Palma said.”

Hey – something that he and I agree on: he’s made yet another film that’s terrible.

2. Baklava says:

Having served in the military I can say the following:
      1) There are bad apples in every organization
      2) I personally saw bad people disciplined via the UCMJ and held accountable even to the extent that it almost seemed too harsh.
      3) Team is instilled in you from the moment you get into Boot Camp. Until the one improves – everyone does pushups/situps/whatever. We are to look out for each other.

It really disappoints me to no end that folks who DON’T know what they are talking about get lies half way round the world before truth can get it’s boots on.

We are in a time of war and the very least that I expect is due diligence from these negligent liars.

And – if there IS a bad apple that wasn’t disciplined…. REPORT THEM SO THAT THEY ARE you liberal unpatriotic wingbats…

And for those of you who are patriotic and liberal – send your anger to the right person. Clean up the mess in your sphere…

3. tommy in nyc says:

I think ST is refering to the case of Pvt Steven Green. In fact I’m sure of it. He was already booted from the Army for being a weirdo before they even found out that this incident took place. Also the problem of our troops not acting proffesionally is more than a few bad apples it’s systemic. Just check out what some of our females soldiers think about some of our male soldiers. Many of then are more worried about getting raped by their co-workers than what is happening outside the wire. But most of the folks serving over there are doing a damn good job. They’re just exhausted.

4. NC Cop says:

“I think that’s terrible because now we have not even given the dignity of faces to this suffering people” De Palma said.

Indeed, Brian, and where was your righteous indignation when Iraqi women and children were being raped and tortured by Saddam Hussein?? Where was your concern for the poor people of Iraq when he was having 12 year old girls raped in front of their fathers, shattering the feet of young men with metal poles, and taping hand grenades to the heads of those that dared oppose Saddam. Depalma, like most of the Hollywood liberals, didn’t seem to care at all when these things were happening to the people of Iraq or when they were starving at the hands of the U.N. sanctions since 1991. Apparently that is ok with them. They are without a doubt, the biggest hypocritical scumbags I have ever seen.

So you are saying that our troops are taught to murder and rape, tommy?

Ok, I’ll check it out. Do you have a link so I can check it out.

5. Baklava says:

tommy without due diligence wrote, “Also the problem of our troops not acting proffesionally is more than a few bad apples it’s systemic. Just check out what some of our females soldiers think about some of our male soldiers.”

I was in correspondence with a woman today who had plenty to say about men who were civilians today. Your swipe at the military men is without perspective. I can only offer apologies to the woman I was talking to and disdain for the men who treat women badly. There is no reason to limit your comments to as having anything to do with “soldiers”.

tommy continued with, “Many of then are more worried about getting raped by their co-workers than what is happening outside the wire.have been horrible crimes committed in the military (to be clear) but it doesn’t pay to be committing crimes in the military #1 and #2 the military will hold you accountable a “second” time if you fell in civilian jurisdictions. For instance – if you drink and drive or get convicted for things off base, you will be held accountable a second time on base and double jeopardy does apply.

6. Baklava says:

tommy without due diligence wrote, “Also the problem of our troops not acting proffesionally is more than a few bad apples it’s systemic. .”

You need to bring the proof to the table bozo. I’m tired of you thinking that anything you say is just fine. In a time of war you are aiding the enemy with no facts to bring to the conversation.

Unless you can do that you aren’t a man but a coward.

tommy wrote, “Just check out what some of our females soldiers think about some of our male soldiers.

Sorry for the double post ST. I messed up on a greater than symbol.

7. tommy in nyc says:

Shoot NC Cop and Bak it does annoy me when you start breaking my ball over stuff you and I know that is obvious. Just like corruption in Iraq for example!! Hell http://www.iava.org is one website for info search under Women in Military on blogroll. Or in fact on any milblog roll that has a female blogger listed on it and see it this subject comes up. For crying out aloud repeated deployments to the sandbox causes PTSD and war is an ugly thing. The sooner our involvement in this civil war ends the better. That’s the way this Desert Storm veteran sees it.

8. Baklava says:

Gotta love it.

If the Internet was around for Iwo Jima tommy would’ve given a website that talks about Army suicides increasing and blasting FDR ad naseum.

You have the freedom to be negative towards this country’s efforts during a time of war. We have the freedom to point it out and how helpful it is to the enemy.

If only you’d channel your negativity against them and not against the U.S.

How do Islamists treat their women? Give us that site for a change….

9. forest hunter says:

Mission Statement
      The mission of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America is to ensure the enactment of policies that properly provide for our Troops & Veterans, keep our military strong, and guarantee our national security for the purpose of a stronger America. We uniquely empower Iraq & Afghanistan combat veterans to use their credibility and experiences to speak truth to power, shape public opinion, and place a priority on these issues.

That’s the mission statement from your link tommy. How does this perverted and twisted crap WITHOUT links, that you peck out on nearly a daily basis, in compliance with their opening paragraph fulfilling the duties of an even slightly responsible veteran.

How does your non-stop avoidance at answering direct questions asked of you and your frivolous grasp of facts apply to their closing paragraph, for w/o credibility you aint got squat! This pea brained approach you put on display is closer to you than the skin on a green peach and until some wisdom causes you to ripen, nattering on about my brothers and sisters fighting terror in the ****hole by defending the inane babblings of greater fools than you, you do no honor or service to my America!

You wear your Desert Storm status on your sleeve and that’s not very becoming, especially since as you say, and I quote:

Stop aiding and abetting our enemies by being a part of hammering down the moral of Americans in the field and their efforts to bring about the demise of this evil, sick cult, intent on owning either you or your head! They don’t care which, dhimmi or dead.

10. Skyler the Weird says:

I hope DePalma will be happy when the New Islamic Government of the US bans Film Making as an un islamic occupation.

If the Internet was around for Iwo Jima and Pearl Harbor Tommy would have nothing but praise for FDR since he was a Socialist Democrat(except for that little period between August 1939 and June 1941 when Auntie Adolph and Uncle Joe were friends and Joe told the Boys in the CPUSA to protest shipments of arms to the Brits). After all Tommy’s ilk was silent when it was Billy Jeff bombing all the Kids in Sarajevo.

11. Baklava says:

Tommy Message for you.

A better organization for you to start reading from Tommy.

12. Drewsmom says:

tommy in nyc, go to California and join the hollywierdo’s. You are so stupid and unpatriotic and you seem to hate our country and troops as much or more than the dems in congress and senate.
      Shut up — blog at kos please, you make me want to puke.
      Whew, I feel better now.[-x

13. stackja says:

In the past, directors went to the scene and told the story:

“The Battle of Midway,” directed by John Ford, provides a relatively brief account of the Japanese attack of American ships at Midway atoll.

LINK

14. NC Cop says:

Well, tommy, I didn’t realize that asking you to back up your accusations against our military was “breaking your ball”. Secondly, don’t change the subject to corruption in Iraq. This topic as about one movie producers attack on our military, stick to it.

The only link that you have ever posted has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I am grateful that you posted it though as I have looked through it and gotten some wonderful information on how to support our troops. Apparently you missed that part.

Again, what does this have to do with Brian DePalma’s movie?

Again, nothing to do with the topic. I am glad, however, to see that you don’t pretend to care what happens to the Iraqi civilians like most of the left pretend to do. Our leaving would cause hundreds of thousands of deaths, something much worse than we are seeing now. Again, though, I’m glad to see that you don’t factor this into your decision making.

I also seem to recall that you called me out because of the salary I made in Iraq, yet you never answered my question about when and where you were during Desert Storm.

15. tommy in nyc says:

This is just so sad in my eyes. I’ll start with NC COP I joined the Navy in July 90′ several weeks later Saddam rolls his tanks into Kuwait and now I’m the realization that I am going to war zone sinks in. Get thru Basic training and hit the books during a schools get nominated as class leader(still got the photo) highest academic achivement get bumped up and pay grade. Get to Saudi Arabia on 27 Feberuary bomb shelter go to go there Scud alert later in day go to catch flight to Baharain. Guzzle beer and dig sandbags on base listen to Reservists bitching about what in the hell they are doing over there mostly HM’S March 1 Saddam surrenders few days later meet up with my ship and life went on. I’m just a citizen who did his duty and did it well it’s just simply the fact it’s too bad that some folks are just unwilling to admit that this nation is unwilling to be honest about the fact that too many soldiers in uniform today should be working at a car wash and not handed a gun. Period

16. tommy, what do you think of Brian De Palma slandering our troops?

17. Baklava says:

tommy wrote, “I’m just a citizen who did his duty and did it well it’s just simply the fact it’s too bad that some folks are just unwilling to admit that this nation is unwilling to be honest about the fact that too many soldiers in uniform today should be working at a car wash and not handed a gun.

We understand that you are down on our people (during a time of war).

Are you down on Brian De Palma and his hatchet job?

18. tommy in nyc says:

Well I haven’t seen the movie first off. ST and Bak since the individuals who commited those crimes deserved to be treated like dirt you never acknowledge the fact they almost got away with it. De Palma is using a shotgun when he should be using a rifle. It is very upsetting that the U.S. ARMY is being as a whole sadistic because that is nowhere near the the truth. I also know firsthand that expressing left-wing views are frowned upon big-time. One big reason why I got out.

19. You’re unbelieveable, tommy. :-l

20. tommy in nyc says:

Shoot ST not all of our soldiers are boyscouts. Part of the reason why they aren’t is the simple fact is that many young adults get burned out. So it should not suprise anyone when stuff like this occurs. Heck I think part of the problem is that folks actually believe they can bring freedom and democracy to Iraq…….via gunfire and collateral damage. Damnit it is mind-boggling trying to get thru to youse folks.

21. tommy, I will ask you again: Do you think it’s ok for Brian De Palma to slander US troops via blanket implications?

22. Baklava says:

tommy wrote, “you never acknowledge the fact they almost got away with it.

Every criminal “almost” gets away with it… until they are caught.

After tommy admitted he didn’t see the movie he wrote, “De Palma is using a shotgun when he should be using a rifle.

Shotgun of slander. Rifle of slander. Both slander.

Tommy with continued aid to the enemy during a time of war wrote “It is very upsetting that the U.S. ARMY is being as a whole sadistic

Tommy throws out another big lie by saying, “I also know firsthand that expressing left-wing views are frowned upon big-time.

Man you need to grow up. I was a lefty and I changed to a conservative halfway through service. At no time were my political views relevant to doing my job or did they matter to the chain of command. Of course I had debates with fellow enlisted men but you seem to want to turn that into some childish view.

You’ll get the last word. I’m off to play for a couple days.

23. Baklava says:

Tommy with the definition of “strawman” wrote, “not all of our soldiers are boyscouts

Nobody made the claim that all of our soldiers are perfect or boyscouts or always doing legal things…

ST, tommy = Brian in lesser form.

24. tommy in nyc says:

Making money off of it is totally sleazy.IMHO. So yeah that is not right one bit. I think what the SOB is trying to express big picture is that war as whole is an awful thing. Which is understandable. That’s all. BTW Democrats rock when the bones meet the boxsprings tell Sen Craid when you get a chance…. it is more comfortable then tiled floors. Just messing I feel bad for the guy’s grandkids that’s why if you take the time to notice I did not trash him in your earlier posts.

25. sanity says:

Been reading the thread and watching with interest how the military seems to be painted with some as a big criminal organization, soldiers gone wild is you would…then there are others that seem to think that the military can do no wrong.

The truth is near the middle.

The military is no different than most organizations, police, firefighters, government, ect. Even in these organizations you have your bad seeds. Those that will do something wrong if they can get away with it.

If the military was ‘saintly’ and did no wrong, there would be no need for JAG or the UCMJ.

Though it seems to somehow dumbfound people in the media, congress, american citizens and those out of country, that the military has problems also, and there are bad people in the military also.

But you do not paint the whole with the same assumption just because of a few bad people. Meaning, you don’t slander and smear the good men and women who do thier jobs, protect, serve, and put their lives on the line daily, just because of a few bad ones.

It is beyond me why some people have this misguided thoughts that the military is supposed to be this US organization that is never to have any troublemakers or people who break the law. HELLO?!?!? These are normal men and women, american citizens, people like you and I, that are in the military – why people think things like this won’t or can’t happen is beyond me. But when things do happen, the military has procedures in dealing with it. UCMJ.

I don’t paint all muslims as terrorist, just because those terrorists were muslims. I blame the few, not the whole.

I don’t blame the entire police when one of them breaks the law, I know not all police are like this.

I don’t think all senators and congressman are crooks and liars, just because there are a few of them that break the law.

My hopes are there are procedures and ways to deal with these problems, to pull the bad apples from the whole so that they do not affect the moral and image of the ones that do good.

My hopes are also that people take the time and blame those that are responsible for thier own actions, and not blame the entire military for the actions of a few.

This would also apply to everywhere else, police, congress, senate, ect. Let’s take the time to blame those responsible and not the whole organizations just because those few.

26. Drewsmom says:

tommy, the Navy is lucky you no longer serve, if you ever really did.

27. Great White Rat says:

Tommy stuffs his head deeper into the sand:

Wrong. Did you read what DePalma said? He wants to bring his version of the “reality” that is Iraq to the American people. Of course, then he goes on to admit he fictionalized the “reality”. In other words, he made things up, but that’s OK because his goal required it. Gotta wonder if Dan Rather helped him with the editing.

So he is not concerned with the idea that “war as whole is an awful thing”. Like Tommy, he’s interested in having the US give up the fight against islamofascism.

28. Severian says:

Lies are OK as long as they speak to a greater Trvth. 8-|

29. NC Cop says:

Is that an accusation or an admission, tommy?

30. Iwo Gina says:

Per Mr. DePalma: “The movie is an attempt to bring the reality of what is happening in Iraq to the American people”
      What makes Mr. Depalma think he knows the reality of what is happening in Iraq? Has he BEEN to Iraq? Has he spoken to a representative sampling of the Iraqi citizenry? No – he’s read some blogs. And on the strength of this, he condemns the whole of the American military effort in Iraq. I’d like to know just how many blog sites he’s visited – is it one? two? more? What sites might they be? Surely, if they’re on the Web, it wouldn’t be a violation of “privacy” to reveal the source of his inspiration! It wouldn’t by any chance have been Private Scott Beauchamp’s blog, would it?
      His claim that he’s had to embellish the truth in order to avoid a lawsuit is beyond ludicrous. I’ve got news for you, Mr. DePalma – you don’t sue someone who tells the truth, you sue someone who EMBELLISHES (a fancy-schmansy word for “lies”).
      As for Tommy – judging by your piss-poor writing style and complete lack of grammar and punctuation, I venture to say you’ve “embellished” your statements about your academic acheivements – if indeed you did receive the “highest academic acheivement” I’d hate to try to attempt to decipher the writings of any of your classmates – they must be complete idiots if you’re the best of them.