Rep. John Murtha: a fountain of misinformation
Stephen Hayes writes:
REPRESENTATIVE John Murtha, a Democrat from Pennsylvania, appeared on NBC’s Meet the Press on Sunday, March 19, to evaluate the war in Iraq on its third anniversary. Murtha, a decorated veteran and longtime hawk, has become a leading spokesman for his party on the war. And on the show, he spoke of what “probably worries me the most” about the U.S. effort in Iraq. The war, said Murtha, is a diversion from the global war on terror.
“There was no terrorism in Iraq before we went there,” said Murtha. “None. There was no connection with al Qaeda, there was no connection with, with terrorism in Iraq itself.” This is now the conventional wisdom on Iraq and terrorism. It is wrong.
Read on for Hayes’ explanation of just how wrong Murtha is. To put it delicately, what Murtha said was a – ahem – fabrication.
Hat tip: Media Lies (via ST reader Fat Tone)
Related Toldjah So posts:
- Documents show more collaboration between AQ and Iraq
- Saddam’s Philippines terror connection
- Batch of pre-war Afghanistan and Iraq documents are released
- Post war Afghanistan and Iraq documents to be released
- Prepare to learn more about Saddam’s WMD intentions
- House Permanent Select Committee to review Saddam recordings
- The Syria/Iraq WMD connection
- Saddam’s #2 air force official: WMDs were moved to Syria
- Confirmed: Iraq was a terrorist training center
- Pentagon briefing docs on Iraq/AQ connection from 2002
- Rep House calls Dem House’s bluff (MINI-LIVEBLOGGING)
- Dem House Representative calls for immediate troop withdrawal
- Where did the WMDs go?
- Show Hayes the documents!
- Pre-war Iraq and Syria: closer than we thought
- AQ/SH connections: Must read
- More evidence of OBL/Hussein connections
- Iraq and Al Qaeda: More connections
- No terrorism in Iraq before the war?