WASHINGTON — Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday announced she’ll join potential 2008 presidential rival John Kerry in voting to filibuster against Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito, just as top Democratic leaders predicted the effort is likely doomed.
With three Democratic senators pledging support for Alito, the New Jersey conservative seems virtually assured of being confirmed by the full Senate Monday or Tuesday, party leaders predicted Friday. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) told reporters in Washington that “everyone knows” Senate Democrats couldn’t muster the 40 votes needed to support a last-ditch filibuster.
CNN is reporting the same thing today with regards to the Democrats not having enough votes in the Senate to filibuster Alito.
In related news, former Democratic party darling and now dropped-like-a-hot-potato Cindy Sheehan threatened to run against Sen. Dianne Feinstein if she doesn’t filibuster Alito. Feinstein has said she will vote against confirming Alito but not support the filibuster. I’m sure Feinstein is quaking in her boots at the very thought. In any event, Feinstein has changed her mind and will now join Kennedy, Kerry, and Clinton in attempting to filibuster Alito.
Michelle Malkin wrote last night that Ted Kennedy posted a thank you note at the liberal blog Daily Kos, making it the second time this week that a prominent Democrat (the first one was Sen. Kerry) posted on a blog many on the left claim does not represent mainstream Democrats. Hmmmm ….
I still believe Alito will be confirmed regardless of the desperate antics of those who don’t want that to happen, but this is an election year, and you can best believe that those filibuster-supporting Democrats are going to use the time they have on the floor of the Senate to make sure their base knows how they feel about Judge Samuel Alito.
More: The Washington Post reports this morning on the role leftist blogs are playing in the opposition to Alito.
Related Toldjah So posts:
- Kerry pushes Alito filibuster
- 10-8 party line vote sets up Senate vote on Alito
- Democrats scrap deal on Alito vote
- Sen. Joe Biden whines because nominees won’t take issue positions
- The Alito confirmation hearings: Day four
- A review of the Senators on Confirmation Row
- Thank you, Sen. Graham
- The Alito confirmation hearings: Day three
- The Alito confirmation hearings: Day two
- Alito confirmation hearings – day one
- Alito confirmation hearing promises to be a slugfest
- Leave Judge Alito’s 90 year old mother alone!
- Alito is “extremist” but Ginsburg is a “moderate”
- Planned Parenthood pulls a NARAL with ad about Alito
- Here we go: Alito is â€˜anti-civil rights’
- Does Alito have the votes to get confirmed?
- Bush will pick Alito for Supreme Court