Posted by: ST on May 17, 2006 at 9:55 am

If you’re a Republican who has ever gotten into a debate with an staunch advocate of teaching sexual education – including sexual orientation – in public schools, I’m sure you’ve heard the excuse of “the schools aren’t trying teaching kids to be homosexuals, they’re just teaching tolerance of the homosexual lifestyle.” It’s not an accurate statement, but it’s one they make nevertheless.

Case in point, this story from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

Port Washington – Parents are angry and school leaders are promising action in response to a “Heterosexual Questionnaire,” approved by two teachers, that asked students questions such as: “If you have never slept with someone of your same gender, then how do you know you wouldn’t prefer it?”

Hundreds of Port Washington High School students were told to submit written answers and discuss the survey.

The questionnaire was distributed by a student organization, which then led a full class-period discussion. Two teachers approved distribution of the survey. The principal did not.

[…]

Woelfel estimated that the survey was given to about 400 of the school’s 930 students on April 25, the day before the national Day of Silence, an annual event co-sponsored by the New York City-based Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network.

According to the Day of Silence Web site, the event is a “student-led day of action” that attempts to eliminate harassment of non-heterosexual students.

Woelfel said that, in connection with the Day of Silence, the school’s Students for Unity spent the day visiting classrooms. They distributed the surveys and led discussions, he said.

Woelfel said that the Students for Unity’s goal of trying to prevent harassment of all people with “alternative lifestyles” is good but that the survey was not appropriate. The two teachers “are very remorseful,” he said.

Some of the questions apparently were intended to make heterosexuals understand what it’s like to be gay or lesbian. Those questions included: “What do you think caused your heterosexuality?” and “When did you decide you were heterosexual?”

Students in the group presenting the survey were trying to convey that “students who have an alternative lifestyle get asked these questions every day, so please be considerate. It was an exercise in compassion and understanding that did not work out real well,” Woelfel said.

Riiiight. If anyone really believes this was an ‘exercise in compassion and understanding’ I guess I should admit to everyone that I’m really Queen Elizabeth.

Here are the survey questions (the below is the text version of that graphic that I found on this website):

1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?

2. When and how did you decide that you were a heterosexual?

3. To whom have you disclosed your heterosexuality? How did they react?

4. Could it be that your heterosexuality is just a phase?

5. Is it possible your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of your same gender?

6. If you have never slept with someone of your same gender, then how do you know you wouldn’t perfer it? Isn’t it likely that you just haven’t met the right same-sex partner yet?

7. Heterosexuals have a history of failures in gay relationships. Do you think you may have turned heterosexual out of fear of rejection?

8. Why do you flaunt your lifestyle with wedding rings, photos at work and talk of your heterosexual escapades?

9. Your heterosexuality doesn’t offend me as long as you leave me alone, but why do so many heterosexulal try to seduce others into their orientation?

10. Are cancer, earthquakes and floods God’s way of punishing heterosexuals?

11. Considering the battering, abuse and divorce rate associated with heterosexual coupling, why would you want to enter into that kind of relationship?

12. If you should choose to have childern, would you want them to be heterosexual, knowing the problems they would face?

13. How can you ever hope to become a whole person if you limit yourself to a compulsive, exclusively heterosexual lifestyle and remain unwilling to explore and develop your normal, healthy, God-given homosexual potential?

14. And anyway, why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?

As I’ve asked before, when did public schools become the place to have days of recognition for sexual preferences (in addition to ‘educating’ students on sexual orientation’)? Is there a “right” somewhere in the Constitution for that, too?

Hat tip: RightWinged.com

Related Toldjah So posts on education run amok:

13 Responses to “Nah, they’re not trying to indoctrinate kids about sexual orientation, are they?”

Comments

1. Severian says:

Hmmmm…how’s that fight against the Spanish Armada going lately, your majesty? :d

2. - General Issimo Franco was recently asked about the Spanish chances against her majesty’s fleet Sev. He assured everyone his own navy is more than a match for the Brits. :o

– Bang **==

3. “…The two teachers “are very remorseful” he said.”

– How magnanimous of them. The usual Liberal claims of concern, once they’ve safely managed to slip another of their political propaganda efforts past the authorities.

– I’ll tell you how the PTA in our district handled this entire problem. We had representatives meet with the school principle and told him in no uncertain terms to keep all political activties off the school grounds or we’d sue the ***p out of the school, him, and the district. So far in two years we’ve had no “incidents”. All materials are previewed by parents and a waiver must be signed, even for normal sex ed classes, and if not the child is given an alternate location and assignment.

– We nipped this Liberal “back-door” in the bud.

– Bang **==

4. - Hmmmm….poor choice of words… ::chuckle:: … the devil made me do it…

– Bang **==

5. PCD says:

This is just a pair of homosexual advocates trolling in the schools for more converts to homosexuality. They should not only be fired but tarred and feathered.

6. - Not fired or made Martyrs of PCD. Alternate life styles are thier own reward, and punishment enough in my opinion.

– Just keep the politics the hell out of the schools.

– I think Conservatives should start campaigning to have the gay lifestylers named as a “faith based identity group”, and therefore prohibited from all government facilities/schools, like any other “religion”.

– Works for me. Now that the ACLU is pan handling for Federal funding, they too should come under the faith/anti-faith prohibitions, including anti-religious nusance suits. All the Liberals little insidious ploys are slowy getting shut down.

– Bang **==

7. Marshall Art says:

Cool! I was hoping to see this questionaire! Here are my responses:

1. Being born to two healthy, well adjusted hetero parents who later taught me right from wrong.

2. Well, I won’t try to say that I understood such things as young as 5 yrs old as the gay folk pretend, but as my age neared double-digits, I began to experience chubbies when around hot babes.

3. To my first girlfriend. She was surprised, she thought I was queer.

4. Possibly, but it’s lasted from that first chubby to now, and I’m 51.

5. No. It’s probably from those chubbies when I’m around hot babes.

6. I suppose anything is possible. Not really likely. Particularly since I’m married to a hot babe. Also, don’t forget that I was taught right from wrong. There may be scores of things that I “might” enjoy or prefer if I didn’t care about right and wrong.

7. No. Once again: chubbies, hot babes.

8. In order: tradition, pride(hot babe wife), and I don’t talk of my hetero escapades.

9. Probably to get laid by members of opposite sex. I would think that few try to “seduce” members of the same sex in any way. They’d be bi in that case. Not the same.

10. Ya never can tell with the Lord, now can ya?

11. A recent study by an American researcher (maybe just a writer. Can’t recall his name.) showed that in the Netherlands (isn’t that appropo, as in “nether regions?) where same sex marriage is all the rage, the one glaring difference between the gay folk and the rest of us was in the area of spousal abuse. It’s far higher in the gay community, with lesbians being the worst. (Love a good cat fight.) So I think I’m safe where I’m at.

12. I do have children and they’re fine. I’ve tried to teach them right from wrong. So far, so good.

13. What a stupid question. Who’s ever asked this of a gay dude?

14. Because we’re sinful horny people, too.

Sometimes I really miss high school. My answers wouldn’t have been much different back then. Well, OK, they’d be less respectful. I have no problem with sex ed from a biological perspective. From the social perspective there should only be one message for the kids: Keep the legs crossed and the pants zipped. Have a sense of honor and self-respect and seek always to transcend your base instincts.

8. Renne P. says:

Oh yeah Marshall. All that moral teaching of right from wrong really helped the pedophile priests get over being gay. You don’t think gays get asked those questions? Hang around your friends the AFA and the 700 Club. God Forbid we tell people to live the best way they can. No, lets tell them every day of their life that God hates their very existence. That’s Christlike and will definitely bring more people to the Church.

Amen.

9. sanity says:

Nice try Renne but every group has it’s bad apples, trying to paint all priests as pedophiles is very disingenous of you.

It is like me saying all Democrats are Racists, when there are only a few that show those signs.

Besides, I do believe Marshall was poking fun at such a stupid ‘questionairre’.

Just because he mentions the Lord and he is straight, you automatically assume he is with the AFA and the 700 club, again your bigotry is showing.

You paint with a wide stroke everyone whom you think is racists, pedophile and link them to straight or catholics, by the way it looks.

I read his answers and laughed, you read his answers and got all offended, very tolerant of you.

10. Marshall Art says:

Whoa, Renne! Why would you tell gays that God hates their very existence? Other than that wacky Phelps dude from Kansas, I don’t know of any leading Christian that says such things. (Not that Phelps is a “leading” Christian. I guess besides his family, he’s got nothin’.) You realize, I’m sure, that each of us are subject to all sorts of temptations and urges and desires, some of which may seem rather harmless. Your average Christian teacher, if you listen to any, will tell you to weigh those desires against Scripture, or more to the point, God’s Word, and adjust accordingly. The temptations and desires don’t neccessarily go away, so some succumb and some resist. The “gay movement” is an example of those who, not only succumb, but seek acceptance for indulging.

To be fair and honest, I wasn’t just poking fun at the questionaire, as Sanity suggested. I was also poking fun at those who created it. It’s a failing, but what the hell.

11. - Fail on Martial… fail on…. heh